Historically, it has been the case that trainees on OOP are not normally eligible to apply for study leave.


Having considered the wider changes to study budgets, the current agreed HEE position is that Study Leave time and funding for trainees on OOP, except for OOPT (Out of Programme Training), remains the same i.e not provided. 

Applications for trainees on OOPT will only be approved and funded where there is clear evidence linking the application to the specific curriculum requirement for the trainee’s individual specialty. The local office that is hosting the OOPT placement will be responsible for approving the study leave and funding/re-imbursing the associated study budget. Where a trainee chooses to take study leave while OOPT, that individual would then not be eligible to apply for, and have funded, that same element again upon re-joining their training programme.