All trainees who are unable to train and work on health grounds should be managed in the first instance under their employers’ occupational health arrangements and are eligible through their employer for statutory sickness absence and pay, which is dependent on their length of service. Please ensure that you have notified your employer and Training Programme Director of your sick leave absence. if your sick leave absence totals more than 14 working days, you should also submit a Change in Circumstances Notification to the LaSE Healthcare Education Team (either a completed form or email, depending on your specialty) who will share relevant information with the College/Faculty and the GMC. 

On your return to clinical training you will be part of the Supported Return to Training Programme and should have a pre-return meeting with your Educational Supervisor or Training Programme Director to assess if you require any assistance in returning to work.

For more information see