The National IDT Team recognises that sometimes people will not live together before they get married but this should not exclude them from the NIDT process. The following is a comprehensive list of all the evidence that can be provided under Criteria 4 – Committed Relationship:
EITHER a marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate.
OR any 2 pieces of evidence of shared financial responsibility
• Joint bank account statement (with names of both partners)
• utility bill (with names of both partners)
• joint mortgage/tenancy agreement (with names of both partners)
OR 1 piece of evidence of shared responsibility from the list above and 1 piece of evidence from the following list OR any 2 pieces of evidence from the following list:
• Evidence of regular transfer of funds to partners account on bank statement (two or more transfers over a few months would be sufficient) Please ensure transfers are highlighted.
• Letter of intent from mortgage lender/rental company (with names of both partners)
• Letter of intent to marry from religious leader (e.g. signed and dated letter from a priest including the name of both partners)
• Evidence of travel to partner’s location on several occasions (train/coach/plane confirmation emails or tickets that show date of travel and destination. Two or more over a few months would be sufficient. Petrol receipts are not accepted)
• Evidence of accommodation or semi-residing over a period of time in a particular region.
• Beneficiary documents
• Wedding/venue deposit receipts (with names of both partners)
• Phone records that show calls to partner over a period of time (Partner’s number must also be
proven via a copy of their phone bill summary sheet). Please highlight the telephone number and reoccurrences on the statement. Copies of calls and conversations via messaging applications will not be accepted (i.e. screenshots).
If you are unsure whether something can be used as shared financial responsibility, please submit a query using the link below.
If you are applying because your partner has a job offer in another region, you will also have to supply evidence of this in addition to the above.
If your partner is a medical trainee, please provide confirmation of national Training Number (NTN/DRN) letter including start date
If your partner is non-medic/non-trainee, please provide an official job offer letter and acceptance letter or contract (signed by your partner), including start date.
If your partner is self-employed, please provide evidence e.g. a contract demonstrating your partner’s need to move to your preferred region.
Other criteria and supporting document requirements must also be fulfilled. For full details on the eligibility criteria, please read the Trainee Guide to IDT which can be found here: