Who can apply for Out of Programme Pause?

Modified on Tue, 10 Mar 2020 at 11:29 AM

Time out of programme (OOP) will not normally be agreed until a trainee has been in a HEE approved training programme for at least one year of training (unless at the time of appointment, deferral of the start of the programme has been agreed for leave on statutory grounds). Trainees should have had at least one ARCP at which point they should be attaining the curriculum goals at a rate not requiring alteration of their initial CCT date, excepting where arrangements for LTFT have been put into place. These trainees will be eligible to apply for Out of Programme Pause. 


For those trainees on a tier 2 visa sponsored by HEE, please be aware that upon undertaking an OOPP post, your visa sponsorship with HEE will be cancelled and you will need to apply for sponsorship with your new employer whilst undertaking your OOPP placement. 


Upon returning to your training programme with HEE you will need reapply for sponsorship to the HEE Tier 2 team, you will not need to go through recruitment process again and can commence directly back into training. If you are considering any other immigration route other than Tier 2 while out on OOPP you are advised to contact the Tier 2 team ( tier2@hee.nhs.uk ) before your sponsorship is withdrawn as you may be subject to a12 month cooling off period, set by the Home Office, before returning to training with HEE.

If none of the FAQs have answered your question, please submit an enquiry to the team by clicking here

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article